Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Fool and Her Treasure

My Grandma once showed me a picture she has of me taking a picture. We were visiting the tulip fields near where I was raised in Washington and I was holding my mom's precious film SLR catching what was probably a mediocre image of the ocean of flowers there every spring. My mom was always willing to let me try my hand at it, even though I was probably better at wasting film then getting good pictures back then! She did of course have some limits. I had to tell her what I was going to take a picture of before she would even let me lay a finger on that coveted piece of equipment. Sometimes she obliged my request and sometimes she didn't. At the time I wasn't really excited about being told no. (who is?) But it did help me become more discerning about what I even asked about. I would walk around composing pictures, and gradually I started recognizing the pictures that I knew she wouldn't let me take. I didn't ask so often (but, oh, how I wanted to!) and slowly but surely I started learning how to make photographs.

I'm certainly still learning. It's been said that "The more you know, the more you know you don't know" and boy is that a fact! I'm trying to keep learning to improve my photos and this seemed an excellent place to document that. Fools Gold is a place for this silly old fool to keep track of her treasure.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite thing about photography is how it's changed the way I view the world around me. I feel like I'm so much more aware of the details. And yes, I could't agree more that the more you know, the more you realize just how much you don't. HA! I've only dabbled in the past, until a couple of years ago when I bought my own SLR. I feel like such a novice, but then I look at how far I've come, and I get stoked. I love the constant learning and growth. Great blog, Katie! I'm excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melinda! I'm in the same boat as you, I've always love photography because it makes me see things I didn't before, but I've only gotten serious about it recently! I'm glad I'm not the only one excited about this blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails